"The word pagan means country dweller."
I don't find "country dweller" anywhere as the definition of the word "pagan". My American College Dictionary says:
1. One of a people or community professing some other than Christian religion (applied to ancient Romans, Greeks, etc. and sometimes the Jews)
2. One who is not a Christian, a Jew or Muslim
3. An irreligious or heathenish person
4. Pertaining to the worship or worshippers of any religion which is neither Christian, Jewish nor Islamic.
5. Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of pagans